PDA

View Full Version : Pixar goes live action

monkeybutlersforall
06-12-2009, 03:24 PM
OK, I admit, I didn't see this one coming. Andrew Stanton, the director of the animated classics Finding Nemo and WALL-E, has apparently agreed to direct Pixar's first live action movie - an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars. Burroughs most famous creation (Tarzan) has already proved successful for Pixar's parent company and there is a wealth of source material to draw from (about a dozen original novels) so this could be a potential franchise in the making.

No news on any casting as yet, but apparently Utah will stand in for Mars with principal shooting scheduled to begin in november.

I'm dead excited by this news - Pixar's working mantra of getting the script perfect before even thinking about shooting a scene means that this could potentially be an absolute corker of a movie! Burroughs' books are pure boys own adventure - think Raiders of the Lost Ark on Mars and you're getting close!

I am slightly curious as to how Pixar (a respectable family film company) are going to handle Dejah Thoris, the princess of Mars and main love interest, a voluptuous vixen with very little regard for clothes - Angelina Jolie anyone?

Butcher
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Pixar's working mantra of getting the script perfect before even thinking about shooting a scene means that this could potentially be an absolute corker of a movie! Burroughs' books are pure boys own adventure - think Raiders of the Lost Ark on Mars and you're getting close!1

I couldn't agree with you more. It's so rare in Hollywood that people focus on the script first and foremost. I'm not familiar with the source material, but Pixar doing something like Goonies meets Indiana Jones sounds very, very fun.

Can't wait for more details on this!

ExKhaos
06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
If anyone is going to get it right, it's going to be Pixar.. Alright, I still watch Toy Story from time to time..But don't act like you don't either.....