PDA

View Full Version : For Sunday: Which film would you recommend to get someone 'started' with asian cinema

psychobillyjekyll
07-17-2010, 07:18 AM
You have to start somewhere, and what better place than here. Just remember, don't make your choice a movie thats so far out there that the person will be immediately turned off to the subgenre.

psychobillyjekyll
07-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Battle Royale got me hooked, so that's what I'd recommend.

GregMO ROberts
07-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Royale will show them how 'fun' it can be before you switch to the serious shit.

Homicide
07-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Battle Royale got me hooked, so that's what I'd recommend.

While I certainly agree with ya'll, and BR was hugely influential on me too, I simply think Oldboy (one word) is fantastic, everyone should see it and I certainly think it's the most accesible!

zachhobbs
07-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok fellas, so I've seen BR, Ong Bak and The Host.

What's next? I have Old Boy in the Netflix queue but who knows when it will show up.

THX – Zach

Homicide
07-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok fellas, so I've seen BR, Ong Bak and The Host.

What's next? I have Old Boy in the Netflix queue but who knows when it will show up.

THX – Zach

All great choices:

Ju-On - very effective vengful ghost chiller
Sympathy for Mr. Vengance- excellent disturbing drama
Ichi the Killer- Made Takashi Miike a houshold name
Audition - Another Takashi Miike shocker with some really creepy goings-on

Homicide's runner's-up:

Lady Vengance- to complete the excellent "Vengance Trilogy" (Sympathy for, Oldboy & Lady)
Versus- Awesome yakuza vs zombie action-fest
Wild Zero- A rock-zombie-romantic-comedy that MUST be seen to be believe, great fun here!!

zombie_mommy
07-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I cut my list from 10 to 6 top movies I would give to a few of my chick friends and I would HAVE to start them with Battle Royale. None of these have Hollywood remakes so it wouldn't be like "oh i've seen this" like Ringu or Ju-on. Ju-on did scare me. Homicide knows. Anyway, here is how my list would be:

Battle Royale
Ichi The Killer
Sympathy for Mr Vengaence
OldBoy
Lady Vengeance
Versus

zachhobbs
07-18-2010, 02:27 PM
All great choices:

Ju-On - very effective vengful ghost chiller
Sympathy for Mr. Vengance- excellent disturbing drama
Ichi the Killer- Made Takashi Miike a houshold name
Audition - Another Takashi Miike shocker with some really creepy goings-on

Homicide's runner's-up:

Lady Vengance- to complete the excellent "Vengance Trilogy" (Sympathy for, Oldboy & Lady)
Versus- Awesome yakuza vs zombie action-fest
Wild Zero- A rock-zombie-romantic-comedy that MUST be seen to be believe, great fun here!!

Thank you!

brainchomper
07-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Butch was raving about Battle Royale, but I didn't like it was much as him. 500 posts baby!!!!