SHOPPING AT AMAZON? Click Here First! | JOIN MAILING LIST

View RSS Feed

Gavin Schmitt

1. Film Review: "Mansfield 66/67" (2017)

“Mansfield 66/67” is about the last two years of movie goddess Jayne Mansfield’s life, and the rumors swirling around her untimely death being caused by a curse, after her alleged romantic dalliance with Anton LaVey, head of the Church of Satan.

While I typically don’t get personal in my reviews, I feel it is necessary in this case. I spent a few years in the 1990s deeply entrenched in the world of Anton LaVey. While not a Satanist by any stretch of the imagination, I read everything ...
  2. Fantasia Film Fest 2016: A Review of "The Love Witch"

A modern-day witch (Samantha Robinson) uses spells and magic to get men to fall in love with her, in a tribute to 1960s pulp novels and Technicolor melodramas.

Making its Canadian premiere at Fantasia on July 16, “The Love Witch” swooped in to Montreal with high recommendations. Hollywood Reporter has lauded it, as have the New Yorker, Rue Morgue, Chris Alexander for ShockTilYouDrop and Jason Coffman for Film Monthly. With everyone who is anyone in the world of film criticism coming ...
  3. Demon of the Desert: "The Car" (1977)

While traveling through the desert nearby the small town of Santa Ynez, Utah on their bicycles to camp, two teenage bicyclers are murdered by a mysterious black car.

The films opens with an Anton LaVey quotation and he is credited as creative consultant. Not sure what he could have possibly contributed to this film... I suspect he was just added as a (small) publicity gimmick and not really involved.

The founder of the Razzies considers this to be one of the most enjoyable ...