SHOPPING AT AMAZON? Click Here First! | JOIN MAILING LIST

View RSS Feed

Gavin Schmitt

1. NEW Review: "Darkness Rising" (2017)

Nearly murdered as a child by her mother, a woman (Katrina Law) returns to the (now abandoned) house where her mom went mad.

On its face, the story is relatively simple and minimalistic. A group of three friends break into a house that one of them grew up in, and find that even twenty years later some of the things left behind are intact. Which may seem a bit far-fetched in a world full of urban spelunkers, but just go with it. Underneath this though, is a far more interesting concept. ...
  2. Owen Egerton: Crafting a Ghost Story

“Axe Murders of Villisca” is out now from IFC Midnight, and well worth a visit if you want to explore a trans-generational ghost story in America’s heartland. “Villisca” is based in part on the house in Villisca, Iowa where eight notorious and still unsolved 1912 axe murders took place. In the film, three outcast teenagers break into the house in search of answers, but discover something far beyond their worst fears.

As a writer myself, I’m drawn to stories about a film’s inspiration. ...
  3. Out Now: Danny Perez's "Antibirth" (2016)

In a desolate community full of drug-addled Marines and rumors of kidnapping, a wild-eyed stoner named Lou (Natasha Lyonne) wakes up after a wild night of partying with symptoms of a strange illness and recurring visions as she struggles to get a grip on reality while stories of conspiracy spread.

The film seems to begin with a kernel of truth: that drug use can be terrifying. While I have no personal experience as far as that goes, we are all familiar with the idea of a "bad ...

Updated 08-29-2016 at 03:47 PM by Gavin Schmitt

Categories
    Uncategorized