SHOPPING AT AMAZON? Click Here First! | JOIN MAILING LIST

View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Blu-ray Review: "To Live and Die in L.A." (1985)

A fearless Secret Service agent (William Petersen) will stop at nothing to bring down the counterfeiter (Willem Dafoe) who killed his partner (Michael Greene).

As with many movies, this one began as a novel by a former Secret Service agent. Director William Friedkin read the book and loved it, attracted to what he saw as a "surreal" aspect of the Service: the balance of one day living the high life with the president and the next chasing counterfeiters through the slums ...
  2. Blu-ray Review: "The Initiation" (1984)

While trying to understand a frightening reoccurring nightmare, a pledge (Daphne Zuniga) is coaxed into breaking into her father (Clu Gulager)'s department store by her sorority sisters, where a deranged killer targets the girls and their boyfriends.

This film's genesis seems pretty standard. Fresh out of school, Charles Pratt (who has gone on to make a name for himself in soap operas) pitched a script to New World. They accepted it, and brought on actress Daphne Zuniga, who had recently ...
  3. Blu-ray Review: "Nighthawks" (1981)

Conservative street cop DaSilva (Sylvester Stallone) reluctantly agrees to terminate an international terrorist (Rutger Hauer) who has demanded media attention. But DaSilva's "at-home" tactics are very much put to the challenge.

The story was originally intended to be produced as "The French Connection III" by screenwriter David Shaber ("The Warriors") at Twentieth Century Fox, with Gene Hackman's Popeye Doyle teamed up with a wisecracking cop (tentatively ...
  4. Book Review: McFarland's "Lost Souls of Horror and the Gothic"

“Lost Souls of Horror and the Gothic: Fifty-Four Neglected Authors, Actors, Artists and Others”, out now from McFarland, is the perfect primer for those who are interested in horror (whether it be movies, books or beyond) and want to venture just outside of the mainstream.

I say “primer” because the book is not an extended study of any one topic. We have 54 separate entries, each from a different voice, and almost none longer than three pages. If you read those few pages and don’t ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Movie Review: The Similars (aka Los Paracidos)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MV5BMDYyYmNjNjYtNmNjYi00MzkyLWE2NzAtMDU3ZDM4ZTUxYTJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE5NDE0MDU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	3942

It only took a few minutes of my eyeballs adjusting to Isaac Ezban's film, The Similars, to realize that I was in for an ultra-trippy throwback to the sci-fi films of some years ago, and I can honestly say that I dug it!

A rainstorm of epic proportions has managed to seal in an octet of passengers at a bus station - no one in, no one out. The stationmaster is just a few weeks away from a long-deserved retirement, and his disdain for ...
Page 11 of 305 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast