Welcome to Killer Reviews where you'll find tons of horror movie reviews, horror podcasts, news, interviews and more!

View RSS Feed

Ruby LaRocca

The She Wolf has Risen!

Rate this Entry
So, here it goes. My very first blog for KillerReviews. I have to admit that I am a little intimidated. I love to write, and it's something that I have been doing since I was 7, but writing for someone else's site? It's a little scary, but I will also admit that I was thrilled when I was asked to do so, and it made me feel cool and that's a nice feeling. I looked at the other people who have blogs and to see my name listed right along with theirs is honoring. It really is. I don't want to go into a crazy long bio of who I am and what I've done and why I was asked to write a monthly blog, if anyone reads this I hope it's because they already know who I am but in case they don't I'm also going to write a blog on my website about writing a blog on this website, and explain a little bit more about myself and this entire experience. I'm pretty sure that writing a blog about writing a blog will open a porthole and the next time I go into my closet I'll come out the other side in fucking Narnia (geek reference #1) but hey, I'm not scared of talking Lions and I'm always up for an adventure. Also I have a tendency to rant and I have to try to keep it under control because I'm not William Burroughs therefore I can't write a few hundred pages of half coherent rambling to finally come to an end and some sort of semblance of a story. Don't get me wrong, he is one of my favorite writers but anyone who tells me they read "Naked Lunch" only once and understood it completely is either a liar or a robot and I don't trust either. So, I must get on with my story and I hope that I can keep your attention because there is a point to this blog post and that is tell you about the movie "She Wolf Rising." (Wow, that was a long intro!)

"She Wolf Rising" is a movie directed by Marc Leland and stars Tiffany Shepis. The premiere for the cast and crew was this past Tuesday September 21st. It was a blast and I will get back to that in a minute. Since this is my first blog, I feel like it should be a little meatier. I wasn't sure where to go with this story but I decided I should start at the beginning. It all began with a call to the bat phone... (geek reference #2)

It was a normal Saturday morning when I got a phone call from Alan Rowe Kelly asking me if I was busy that day explaining that they needed an actress to play a zombie for a scene in a movie being shot that afternoon. Fortunately I was not busy that day, and I am completely willing to admit that when I heard that Tiffany Shepis was the star of the movie I went into complete geek melt down mode. I had been a fan of hers for years and the idea of getting to meet her and be in a movie with her made my heart pound harder and faster then a fanboy waiting in the theater for the premiere of Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace to begin. (Geek reference #3 and thankfully Tiffany Shepis didn't break my heart like George Lucas did. Fuck you George, fuck you.)

I love Alan Rowe Kelly and I am so grateful to him for offering me the part. The funny thing is I was told I was going to play a zombie that day, but not what kind of zombie. Now we all know the different kinds, and I was prepared to play any one of those, but this zombie was not like any zombie I've ever seen before. When I got to set I found out that I was going to be a ballet dancing zombie. Ballet dancing? I am the most ungraceful person on the planet. Especially at moments when I am trying to be "cool" or when it's the most important thing for me to be anything but ungraceful. And the icing on the cake was I would also be naked. Now, I don't mind being naked in movies, but there I was about to get into the make up chair with thoughts of every time I had embarrassed myself by tripping over my own feet or losing my balance for no reason whatsoever and I was about to be filmed ballet dancing naked as a zombie. I was nervous to say the least.

Jeremy Selenfriend was the special effects artist for the movie, and he is AMAZING! He was so sweet and thoughtful. He instantly made me feel comfortable, even though I was naked and sitting in his fx chair while he air brushed and painted and applied latex to me from head to toe. I flipped through his portfolio book while he worked, and I was blown away. He has done some really awesome effects, and animatronics! He made a sea monster that a scuba diver could get into and control to make it come out of the water and move around and chomp people, how cool is that? Really cool, the answer is really fucking cool. The dude knows his craft and he did an incredible job of turning me into a zombie. I wore a blonde wig that he dirtied up so that it looked even less like me. It took hours but it was definitely worth it in the end.

Tiffany arrived right as we were starting the make up process. Alan and Marc introduced me and right away she was so sweet to me and so down to earth. It definitely took some of the nervousness out of me, although my heart was pounding and I was still hoping not to fall on my face in front of her. See, I am a horror movie fan as well as an actress. I may get nervous about not doing something embarrassing in front of someone I admire, but I'm not nervous to admit that I geek out just like anyone else who loves the genre. Thankfully, again, I didn't fall on my face and she was so awesome to me. It was a moment in my career I really felt accomplished. We shot the scene, the director Marc Leland was wonderful. He showed me how he wanted me to dance and let me practice a few times. Alan was on set as well and watched as we shot it. Timothy Mandala, the male lead, was in the scene with me as well as J. Edmund Fond who plays the director of the movie being shot in the movie. Confused? I can't give away too much, so you'll just have to wait and see it to understand! Ha ha ha!!! Everyone was really awesome to work with that day, and I want to make sure to say that I am not the kind of person to rant and rave about people or experiences if it isn't what I actually feel. I don't love everyone, and not every movie I have worked on has been a good time. I'm just saying this because I hate it when I see interviews with Hollywood types who always say the same thing about every movie and every person they work with. Everything is all rainbows, unicorns, magic, and love love love. It's fake. I'm not like that. Is that why I'll never be one of those Hollywood types? No, it's not. I don't want to be one of those. It's not what I aspire to. I want to be DIVINE! (As in "Female Trouble" and "Pink Flamingos." Not the adjective. I think that may be geek reference #4, I'll let you decide on that one.)

My second day of shooting was for a scene with the gorgeous and talented Nicola Fiore. If you don't already know who she is, look her up. She's a natural beauty, and a natural on screen. It was great meeting her for the first time and we had a very good rapport right away, which is good because we were shooting a make out scene where we had to act super super sexy. Obviously shooting scenes of that nature are easier and fun if you have good chemistry with the person. Alan Roe Kelly, a master of many trades, did our hair and make-up. I really believe Alan can do anything. If I had to chose my very own super hero, I would choose Alan, and he'd look smashing in tights and a cape!

My final day of shooting was at a go-go bar in New Jersey. The scene I was in was not shot in the actual part of the venue with the striper poles and whatnot, but in room upstairs that was turned into a mini movie theater. My favorite part of that day was seeing Tiffany again, and seeing Tina Krause! Tina and I have been in several movies together and she is fucking hysterical. I hope I can curse on this site because she really deserves the word fucking before hysterical. She is a funny woman and I love her so much. She is so fun to work with. She runs at 110 mph all the time. From start to finish she is non-stop energy and excitement, joking, clever and witty, and yet oddly cynical too which makes her humor that much more interesting and unique. I was so happy to reunite with her and work on something together. She had me laughing so much all day it was almost sad when we were done. That day was a fun and easy day on set and I went home a very happy woman for getting to be a part of a movie with such a great cast and crew.

So, fast forward to... The premiere! Marc Leland did a great job of getting everyone together for the private screening. I brought along with me actress and director Monica Puller as well as my fellow Chainsaw Kiss family members Victor Bonacore and Joey Smack. (Chainsaw Kiss is the production company I am in with the previously named friends of mine as well as Jimmy ScreamerClauz) I have to say first and foremost what a great job Tiffany Shepis did. I think it's some of her best acting I've seen to date. There were moments where she was sexy, tough, sensitive, creepy, scared, scary, and of course always beautiful. Timothy was a great leading man and I rarely even pay attention to who the main dude is. Honestly, I pay much more attention to the women in the movie, but Tim did a great job and was so convincingly starry eyed and innocent in certain moments it was adorable. Marc Leland, who also wrote the movie as well as directed it, also did a great job. I love all the twist and turns in the plot and the ending is great! I was surprised and I'm in the movie! AND, I look graceful in my ballerina scene! So you know he did something right that day directing me, because I look like a fucking ballerina. It cracks me up. Lastly, I have to say how impressed I was by Alan, again, who edited the movie. Holy shnikes! (Geek reference #5) I didn't even know Alan was an editor. I told you he's a super hero!

After we all watched the premiere we went to the bar next door and all shared some drinks and some laughs. ***Highlight of the Night*** Monica Puller, Tiffany Shepis, and myself doing karaoke to "Shoop" by Salt n' Pepa. Victor Bonacore may have video taped this performance... However, it will not be up on the internet anywhere for you to see. Sorry! It was a private moment amongst friends and it will remain that way. But I will say this, Tiffany knows how to shake, rattle, and roll. I on the other hand look like I showed up as Princess Leia to a Star Trek convention (geek reference #5 1/2, since I previously used a Star Wars reference) BUT I didn't fall down on my face. Hooray for me!

All in all, a great movie, a great night, and going forward I hope to work with all these people again. Going forward at 88 mph of course (geek reference #6)

So concludes my severely long blog that I really hope someone is still reading at this point. I hope I didn't bore you too much!

Please check out the website for "She Wolf Rising"

http://www.shewolfrising.com

There is also a article about it on Fagoria's website here

fangoria

And of course please visit my website. I will uploading more photos from the premiere as well as the blog about the blog, and check for all news about Chainsaw Kiss endeavors as well. We've been very busy bees.

http://www.rubylarocca.net/

I will be a guest at three conventions in October starting with Cinema Wasteland which is October 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The movie I wrote and directed is playing, "Belated by Valentine's Lover" AND Chainsaw Kiss is hosting the Jim Vanbebber "Deadbeat at Dawn" reunion with Jim, Marc Pitman, and Mike King. The movie will also be playing that weekend, and we will be shooting footage for the documentary Victor Bonacore is directing about Jim Vanbebber. So, if you are a huge fan of Jim's come to the convention and get in the documentary! It's going to be epic. I will also be at Rock and Shock October 15th, 16th, and 17th, and my home base convention Chiller Theater which is Halloween weekend. Come visit me! If you mention this blog you will get a FREE secret present. I promise.

Well my dear audience, this is where I say good-bye. I hope you enjoyed my very first blog. I hope I don't get kicked off for cursing so much. And I hope you continue to read my blog in the future. Shit, if you've made it this far I commend you. I promise the next one will be spicy! I already have it in the works...

Live LOUD!

Ruby

**I support dangerous art & fearless hearts**

Submit "The She Wolf has Risen!" to Digg Submit "The She Wolf has Risen!" to del.icio.us Submit "The She Wolf has Risen!" to StumbleUpon Submit "The She Wolf has Risen!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow, a blog from one of my favourite actresses. Ruby LaRocca! We're not worthy!

Will She Wolf Rising have a DVD release anytime soon?

Can you tell us more about Belated by Valentine's Lover? Is this a short film? Will this be available on DVD? Do you also appear in it?

Thank you for posting.
    Updated 09-25-2010 at 04:21 PM by SkullWhichCameFromHell
    Big surprise. Ruby's first post and she nails it out of the park. I'm so glad I asked you to do this. I'll be seeing you at Rock and Shock.
    Ruby, your name is so appropriate because you are a gem!!! Your balancÚ, balancÚ, step soutenu would rival any prima ballerina. I'd like to see them do your choreography with rotting flesh, maggots and as you mentioned, naked...... You were brilliant!!! Congrats on your first blog, it's awesome. I feel honored that "She Wolf Rising" was a part of it.
    !!!
    Excellent blog post! Thanks for sharing!
    Great review, it's always great tog et a bird's eye view of the film making process so we can all better appreciate the hard work you all put into your craft.
    Dang that was Awesome !! Cant wait to see the film i think Shepis is great as well. Thanks for sharing with us. P.s i love the geek refrences
    Updated 09-28-2010 at 09:28 PM by Xander_Kane