bronxtko

Movie Review: The ID

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheId_WebPoster.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	3940

Caring for an aging parent at home certainly isn't a picnic, and in Thommy Hutson's psychological thriller, The ID, the prospect of sending off a miserable coot of a guardian doesn't seem like such a bad idea!

Now for those who need to assimilate themselves with Amanda Wyss, first off: you should be ashamed to call yourself a horror fan, and secondly: she's most notably recognized for being Ginsued and whipped around a bedroom by Mr. Krueger in the original A Nightmare On Elm Street - familiar to ya now? Anyhow, her performance in this film is quite possibly one of the strongest I've seen in years, and it catapults The ID into frankly, one of 2016's best releases. Wyss plays Meridith, an emotionally fragile individual who is taking care of her father (Patrick Perduto in an equally strong performance) after he becomes disabled and unable to care for himself. Her fragile state is further broken down by his incredibly caustic comments and actions, but not just in the present time, but apparently all the while she was growing up in the house, adding up to a very unstable situation. Her life has devolved into a home-nurse that's been hanging onto memories of her school days, and when a former guy-friend (Malcolm Matthews) hits her up on the phone one day, she's mentally thrown back to her high-school days where she revolved her life around the guy that got away.

All the while, her intently intimidating pop continues to berate her constantly, further separating her own sanity from reality, and this is where Wyss's portrayal of a woman who is basically trapped in her home, comes off so amazingly harrowing. The entire movie works as one slow-moving vehicle, but it all comes together in one tense, grinding presentation that will make anyone get the chills during numerous instances within its runtime. As I watched this film with my girlfriend, we both felt uneasy with more than a few scenes, but trust me, it adds to the astriction and overwhelmingly distressing subject matter - believe me when I tell you, this one will stick with you long after it's over. I've got a fairly short-list of must-sees for 2016, but The ID is right there at the top of the heap - do yourself a HUGE favor and give this one a look - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Submit "Movie Review: The ID" to Digg Submit "Movie Review: The ID" to del.icio.us Submit "Movie Review: The ID" to StumbleUpon Submit "Movie Review: The ID" to Google

Comments