SHOPPING AT AMAZON? Click Here First! | JOIN MAILING LIST

View RSS Feed

bronxtko

Interview With Aaron Glenane (Killing Ground)

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kgstills1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	4005

We here at Killer Reviews were recently able to grab a few minutes with Aaron Glenane, one of the stars of IFC Midnight's latest violent camping-gone-wrong flick, Killing Ground. He was gracious enough to give us a little peek at his character, and what he's got coming up on the work-slate horizon - settle in, read on and enjoy!

KR: Can you tell us about the film's premise, as well as a description of your character, Chook?

AG: For sure. The film begins with a young couple heading to the bush for a romantic weekend getaway. Upon arrival at the campsite they notice an unoccupied tent. The following morning they come across a toddler in the woods covered in cuts and bruises and this is only the beginning of their troubles.
I play Chook, one of the local hunters who resides in a small country town with very few opportunities to make something of yourself. Living with his friend and mentor German, Chook is lured into a crossroad where he must decide who he wants to become.

KR: What were your initial thoughts when you read about your character in the film?

AG: Excited, terrified and challenged all at once. Damien wrote such a visceral script, which kept me guessing the entire way through. I was left in a state of emotional shock and had endless questions once I turned the final page. Damien was determined to make this story feel as real as possible. And that came down to the choices the characters made. Not everyone makes ‘superhero’ choices in this film. I was excited to bring a fleshed out human being to the screen with Chook. A young man who is vulnerable and lives in a world of rejection, whose anger, ferocity and unpredictability drives him into uncharted territory. Working alongside one of Australia’s finest actors Aaron Pedersen was also a huge attraction to me. He brought an intensity and gravitas to German that could make your spine shiver with a look. I learnt an incredible amount from him.

KR: What can you tell us about the filming? Looks like things got pretty physical out there!

AG: Ha it sure did. It was intense. Damien decided to put every filmmaking obstacle he possibly could into his feature debut! Animals, toddlers, weather conditions, stunts…he doesn’t do things by halves. We faced quite a lot of rain, which was tough as we had a quick 27 day shoot. And then the sun would come out and you’d be working in extreme heat. The most challenging thing was the emotional content of some of our more confronting scenes. We had an amazing cast and there was a deep trust and camaraderie between us, which allowed us to fully commit to the story we were telling.

KR: You've acted in a few TV projects as well - do you have any different modes of preparation when it comes to readying yourself for a film or TV project?

AG: My preparation is different due to the nature of the characters as opposed to the format I’m working in. I let the role dictate my preparation. I always like to start by delving into the world of the character. For example with Chook I spent time with a pig hunter in order to understand his interest in hunting and what a normal day in the field would be like. Whereas, when I played Mushroom Records founder Michael Gudinski in Molly, I was out consistently watching music gigs and finding new talent. I do this for every role. I like to spend time in the occupation and lifestyle of the character so when I come on set I don’t feel the need to ‘act’ as opposed to being able to ‘live’ in the role. A key difference between TV and film is that TV shoots a whole lot fast, which has helped me become incredibly self sufficient as an actor.

KR: Lastly, after the release of Killing Ground, what can fans look forward to seeing from you down the road?

AG: Next up is an incredibly exciting re-imagining of Joan Lindsay’s Picnic at Hanging Rock, which is lead by the astounding Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones, Hunger Games). The 6 part miniseries from Foxtel begins when three schoolgirls and their governesses mysteriously disappear on Valentines Day in 1900. Their absence haunts those who are left behind. I play the sexually repressed, devoutly religious Reg Lumley alongside the brilliant Yael Stone (Orange is the New Black) as my sister. We are determined to rid the school and community of its sinful acts and beliefs, which are snowballing by the second. Keep your eyes out for this one!

Submit "Interview With Aaron Glenane (Killing Ground)" to Digg Submit "Interview With Aaron Glenane (Killing Ground)" to del.icio.us Submit "Interview With Aaron Glenane (Killing Ground)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Interview With Aaron Glenane (Killing Ground)" to Google

Comments