bronxtko

Blu-ray Review: Children Of The Corn

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AV106_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	4020

With the insane amount of buzz surrounding the release of Stephen King's funny little clown film (gonna have to give me a minute - the name escapes me), it's about time that one of his other adaptations gets shown a little love, isn't it? Well say hello to Children Of The Corn, and thanks to the group over at Arrow Films and their magical powers of restoration, this classic from 1984 has the chance to flex its muscles once again.

Now I certainly don't think that I need to prattle on about the plot of this chilling presentation, and if I do, shame on you for not having checked this out yet - what are you waiting for? This was one of those films that back in the day reaffirmed my irrational fear of cornfields, and while there weren't any cornfields within 1000 miles of my home, they still gave me the heebie-jeebies, and some 33 years later (my GOD, has it been that long), this film still manages to make the little hairs on my arms stand up, which was why I was over the moon when I'd heard that Arrow was rolling out the red carpet for this one. Alright, enough of this reminiscing crap, let's get to the meat and bones of this beauty!

First off, the artwork alone of Isaac's 1000-yard stare is enough to put a lump in the back of your shorts, and we haven't even put the disc in the player yet! After the feature rolled, which looked a bit grainy, but still had its hints of sharpness and renewed color - a markedly improved product over the past Blu releases. The audio was lossless and I found myself adjusting my sound levels to get that right balance as some of the dialogue was a bit muffled, but when those damn creepy chanting overtones hit, I was blown out the back wall of my living room. As far as the special features are concerned, the list is impressive for sure:

- Return To Gatlin: a look back at the iconic filming locations in Iowa with host John Sullivan

- Cut From The Cornfield: an interview with actor Rich Kleinberg on the infamous "lost" blue-man scene

- Disciples Of The Crow: 1983 short film adaptation of Stephen King's story

- Storyboard gallery

- Stephen King On A Shoestring: an interview with producer Donald P. Borchers

- Welcome To Gatlin: The Sights and Sounds of Children Of The Corn: interviews with production designer Craig Stearns and composer Jonathan Elias

- ...And a Child Shall Lead Them: a brand new interview with actors Julie Maddalena and John Philbin

- Field Of Nightmares: A brand new interview with writer George Goldsmith

- Harvesting Horror: retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Fritz Kiersch, John Franklin and Courtney Gains

- It Was The Eighties!: an interview with actress Linda Hamilton

- Audio Commentary with director Fritz Kiersch, producer Terrance Kirby and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains

- Brand new audio commentary with horror journalist Justin Beahm and Children Of The Corn historian John Sullivan

- Plus a fully illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by John Sullivan and Lee Gambin

- Reversible sleeve artwork featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

This beauty releases on both Blu-ray and DVD format on October 3rd, 2017 and is available from MVDShop.com - don't anger He Who Walks Behind The Rows...get your copy NOW!

Submit "Blu-ray Review: Children Of The Corn" to Digg Submit "Blu-ray Review: Children Of The Corn" to del.icio.us Submit "Blu-ray Review: Children Of The Corn" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blu-ray Review: Children Of The Corn" to Google

Updated 09-28-2017 at 07:14 AM by bronxtko

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments