Sponsors: Alternative Cinema | Level 33 Entertainment | Shopping at Amazon? Click Here First!

View RSS Feed

Nekrochick

Killer Book Reviews: Animosity by James Newman (J.N)

Rate this Entry
We've all felt it. Maybe towards a family member, a coworker, a friend, or a neighbor. But how far do you take it? A snide comment, an uncomfortable gaze. Would it lead you to kill?

James Newman's newest, and in my opinion best, novel shows us just how far people will go when motivated by their animosity. Set in a quite neighborhood, Andy Holland makes his living writing horror novels. One morning, he finds the body of a nine year old girl who has been raped and murdered. His neighbors, who were once his friends, turn on him. Being a horror writer capable of writing the deepest horrors of human nature, his neighbors assume is capable of acting on these fears. Letting their animosity get the better of them, his entire neighborhood sets out for vigilante justice. As Andy becomes a prisoner in his own house, his very own horror story comes to life.

I won't give away the whole story, your going to have to read it for yourself, but any real horror fan is going to love this book. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I spent a morning at my lab bench reading as fast as I could. After finishing the book, I was completely terrified. This story leaves you with a chill in your bones and a certain paranoia for those around you. Mr. Newman' s characters and neighborhood chillingly remind us of every small town in the United States. Andy Holland could easily be one of your neighbors or he could be you. Trust me when I say, if you are looking to be transported into a nightmare, you will find it here.

James Newman is a veteran author in the horror genre including other novels such as Midnight Rain, The Wicked, and The Forum. I cannot overstate the originality in his writing which allows him to craft unique stories unlike most horror novels you may have read. One of the scariest parts of his books is the lack of predictability with the turn of every page and Animosity was no exception. His fluid but down-to-earth use of language makes his novels come to life in a way few authors can. I am especially fond of his use of dialog which can often be lacking. Animosity is a true all-American horror story that anyone can enjoy. It is a story that speaks to every day American life and how quickly a quite life can turn into a living Hell. Original, relateable, and a quick read make Newman's Animosity a great choice for any horror fan, reader and non-reader alike.

Like what you read? Check out Necessary Evil Press (http://www.necessaryevilpress.com/Bo...book=ANIMOSITY) for availability and Pre-order information.

Like what I'm doing? If you are interested in seeing more book reviews by your's truly, drop me a comment or a PM.

Submit "Killer Book Reviews: Animosity by James Newman (J.N)" to Digg Submit "Killer Book Reviews: Animosity by James Newman (J.N)" to del.icio.us Submit "Killer Book Reviews: Animosity by James Newman (J.N)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Killer Book Reviews: Animosity by James Newman (J.N)" to Google

Updated 03-31-2011 at 06:58 PM by Nekrochick

Tags: animosity Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

i'm so happy someone is writing book reviews. and yes, i am aware that twilight will likely not make anyone's review blog.
    Of course it is awesome to have book reviews on here. I have always thought the site needed more book reviews. Be great to have some on a consistent basis. I have written 2 myself on here
    Bree: Sorry, I'm not really a Twilight person but I'm actively seeking out more horror novels
    Xander: Glad I'm not the only one because I couldn't keep this forum in book reviews. I don't have the time to read as much as I would like to.
    Thank you so very much for your kind words. Hopefully your review will convince a few folks to pick up a copy (as soon as the publisher's damn site comes back up . . . apparently it's only temporary, as they got a virus, but sometimes I think this book is friggin' cursed!).

J.N.
    Yea, I was hoping to get a link to the preorder but that was the closest I could get. I posted the KR link on Reddit hoping to get both you and KR some press.