Sponsors: Alternative Cinema | Level 33 Entertainment | Shopping at Amazon? Click Here First!

View RSS Feed

Ruby LaRocca

Slaughter daughter!

Rate this Entry
(Melody taken from the "Speed Racer" cartoon.)

Here she comes, the slaughter daughter.
She's a demon in heels.
She's on a rampage and you cannot stop her,
Because insanity is how she feels.

I'm very excited to announce that the last shooting days for "Slaughter Daughter" starring Nicola Fiore and myself, are just around the corner. Director Travis Campbell and writer/producer Lauren Miller already have a rough cut! They are amazingly talented as well as hard working. It was initially wrapped a few weeks ago when I suddenly got a message from Nicola saying that Lauren wanted to add to the ending and specifically wanted my character in it more. So, needless to say I was thrilled!

This is the teaser trailer.

Also, there is a youtube page with several other videos they shot in order for people to get a sneak peek that is also part of the backstory of the movie. That link is:

http://www.youtube.com/myslaughterdaughter

And lastly, of course a facebook fan page. This movie is what DIY underground horror movies are all about. Extremely talented people coming together and working their asses off for the sake of their love and devotion to horror. So if you love horror too, please go the fan page and hit the darn "like" button, and I thank each and everyone one of you in advance for doing so. That link is:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sla...85225688173581

Here is a short synopsis written by Lauren.

'Slaughter Daughter' is the story of Farrah, an increasingly unstable former beauty queen who lives at home with her drunk of a mother. All she wants is a new life. When she falls for a serial killer on death row, she realizes what she has to do. Violence is her only solace. Murder is her only hope. With her mother's wedding approaching, she sees her chance... and she won't stop until everyone in her family is dead! Are you ready for the slaughter?

There are many reasons why this movie is so important to me. One being that it was the first acting job I took since my accident in November, and to clarify and put any rumors to bed, the accident was self-inflicted, left me in a coma for 2 weeks, and I woke up unable to talk, walk, or even sit up on my own. I was interviewed about it on an internet show called "Rew and Who" and you can watch that interview here:

I have been in physical, occupational, and speech therapy since January. I suffered an anoxic brain injury, which is basically lack of oxygen to the brain. I was extremely lucky that my girlfriend, Monica Puller, found me in time and gave me CPR and my heart started beating again and I started breathing again before the ambulance arrived. She saved my life and I genuinely feel like I have been given a second chance. The neurologist told me I wouldn't walk for a year. I started out in a wheelchair, then moved onto a walker, then a cane, and now I barely need that. I'm not saying it was easy or what I did wasn't the stupidest thing I have done in my life, because it was by far the stupidest thing and everyday I am reminded of it, and everyday I work my ass off on recovering. It is also the reason I have not been putting up monthly blogs, because typing anything takes me a really long time. However this blog is not about that, although if you want to know more I keep a personal blog on my website and talk more about it there. Sometimes being an actress makes it hard to know where to draw the line between my personal and professional life, but because the accident has effected both I am now finally comfortable with people knowing the truth.

Which brings me back to "Slaughter Daughter!" I worked with Nicola a few years back on a movie called "She Wolf Rising" and we instantly hit it off. Not only is she naturally gorgeous and a hugely talented actress, she is also very intelligent, sweet as pie, and genuinely down to earth. I knew then that I not only wanted to work with her again, but that I wanted to be friends as well. We briefly kept in touch until the magic that "Slaughter Daughter" had that brought us back together as co-stars and now even better friends. She is one of the producers and was the one who suggested me for the role.

I was so nervous going into the first rehearsal. I had explained to the director Travis Campbell my concerns because of my physical limitations as well as my speech problems I run into, but through email. When I got to the rehearsal because of my nervousness I was shaking so badly I could barely stand or speak. Nicola was bouncing off the walls with excitement that I was even there, and later she told me the reason they still offered me the part was because despite my extreme nervousness Travis and Lauren could see that I had the right emotional feel for the character and had great chemistry with Danny Morales who was playing the brother to the main character Farrah, who Nicola was playing, and my character is the brother's new girlfriend.

It was a small role, didn't require a lot of movement, and Travis let me change the way things were worded when needed so I could deliver my lines with no problems. Then suddenly as things began to fall into place, I fell into "Apple", my character, and started ad-libbing, having fun, having confidence, and the more I got into the character the better each scene or dialogue became and I made the character mine. It felt awesome! I was so proud of myself. If I hadn't taken the role, I wouldn't be writing this blog right now, but more then that. That "small" role gave me my mojo back! As well as new friends, new experiences, a new out-look, positivity back in my life, and in the very end it's going to be a great movie. I have so much confidence saying that. "Slaughter Daughter" is going to be an incredible movie. I new it the first time I read the script, I just didn't know how deeply it would effect my life! So, there's that line again. The line that separates my professional and personal life. In this case I couldn't be happier that I let that line disappear for a moment because it allowed me to have a life changing experience that wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't. And now Apple is being brought back into the story for more! Sometimes the stars do align to spell, "Life is Awesome!"

Go-Go Slaughter Daughter!!!

Nicola and I will be guests at Horrorfind in Gettysburg, PA September 2nd, 3rd, & 4th to promote "Slaughter Daughter" as well as other projects. Although the movie will not be out yet, we will have promotional goodies to give away and anyone that knows me from cons know how much I love to give away free stuff! So be sure to visit us if you are attending.

We are also both guests at Chiller Theatre in Parsippany, NJ October 28th, 29th, & 30th. I cannot say for sure if "Slaughter Daughter" will be out by then, but there is a good chance. Either way, we will be promoting it with free goodies and stills from the film and possibly other new items from "Slaughter Daughter" and other surprises. I'm always full of surprises, but as far as any news I will put any updates on my website, facebook, and of course Killer Reviews.

And lastly, I am going to be "Gore Hunny Miss August" on TheGoreHound.com under the section titled "Last Rites." Be sure to check out the site, and Nicola Fiore is a future Gore Hunny herself, possibly Miss September, so be on the look out for us! It was a lot of fun writing about why I love horror movies so much. I'll be sure to post a link when it goes up on the site. Until then, TheGoreHound has a facebook fan page and I strongly encourage everyone to check it out and hit that good ole' "like" button on that page too.

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive to me over the last few months, and I look forward to having a lot more blogs right here on Killer Reviews!!!

LUV & Blood,
Ruby LaRocca

Submit "Slaughter daughter!" to Digg Submit "Slaughter daughter!" to del.icio.us Submit "Slaughter daughter!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Slaughter daughter!" to Google

Updated 07-27-2011 at 06:24 AM by Ruby LaRocca

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ms. LaRocca,...

The trailer looks interesting.

Sounds like you had a really good time working on it.

In regards to Nicola,... She's one of those folks with highly expressive eyes and face. She can express more of her character's thoughts and emotions just by looking into the camera, than most folks can with a couple of pages worth of dialogue.

I also agree, she is "sweet", AND thoughtful, AND smart, AND adorable... Nicola deserves any, and all, success and happiness that comes her way.
    P.S.... I forgot to mention this in my first post...

Ms. LaRocca, I sincerely hope you keep getting stronger with every passing day.
    Slaughter Daughter Looks Great!!! Can't wait to see it!!

Glad to hear you are doing better. I would imagine it is very difficult to decide on what to tell your fans. I am glad you chose to tell us the story and I am very glad that you seem to be in a much more positive place. I have only been a fan for about a year and I always tell people that you are one of my favorite Indie Horror Queens. Please continue to take care of yourself and keep us informed on Slaughter Daughter and Zombie Babies and any other projects in the future.