Sponsors: Alternative Cinema | Level 33 Entertainment | Shopping at Amazon? Click Here First!

View RSS Feed

hemi

A Nightmare on Elm Street - A True Story

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
A Nightmare on Elm Street - A True Story

The Story You Know:

A Nightmare on Elm Street boasted a plot that was two parts Halloween, one part Jason and a dash of Christopher Nolan psycho-noir. It introduced a whole generation of children to insomnia in the form of Freddy Krueger, and is arguably the only decent movie Wes Craven ever made.

What Inspired It:

A true freaking story. While Freddy Krueger is the amalgamation of a bully from Craven's youth and a homeless person, the concept of people actually dying from their nightmares is a reality all too horrific for Southeast Asian men. Wes Craven apparently got the idea for A Nightmare on Elm Street after coming across a string of articles in the LA Times from the 1970s and 80s about an alarming number of young, able-bodied, mentally-sound men from Southeast Asia who died in their sleep the most horrifically way possible: via nightmares. It would all start with a bad dream so distressing that they would spend days trying to stave off sleep. Once they eventually succumbed to Mr. Sandman, they let out a bloodcurdling scream, and died hard. It's a condition known as SUDS, one of those medical acronyms doctors use to hide the unsettling damned-if-we-know nature of the real name: Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome. Contrary to what the films told us, it typically attacks healthy adolescent men regardless of sexual promiscuity. Between 1982 and 1990 alone, 230 Thai men died from this condition. It is known throughout Southeast Asia as bangungot, dab tsog, laitai, hukuri and other names that you will dread for the rest of your life if you are even just a fraction Southeast Asian. Only some quick defibrillation has proved effective against this monster, but for real... how many people have ready access to a defibrillator? In fact, SUDS nearly makes Freddy Kruger seem less threatening in comparison. At least we know that Freddy can be killed.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18585...#ixzz0sNoEUtL0

Submit "A Nightmare on Elm Street - A True Story" to Digg Submit "A Nightmare on Elm Street - A True Story" to del.icio.us Submit "A Nightmare on Elm Street - A True Story" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Nightmare on Elm Street - A True Story" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I don't know if you saw "Never Sleep Again" the documentary on the making of all the Nightmare films? Yeah, this story was briefly touched upon in that. It's fucking creppy dude! One kid they talked about: his parents found him dead in the bed with a coffee maker beside him and pills to stay awake.
    I haven't seen the documentary but after reading this I most totally will. I always heard that the films were loosely based on a true story but never really dived into finding out.