Welcome to Killer Reviews where you'll find tons of horror movie reviews, horror podcasts, news, interviews and more!

View RSS Feed

darthballsac

Review : Goon

Rate this Entry
Doug Glatt, a bouncer and family outcast looking to find his place in life, finds solace in a semi-pro hockey team in need of a thug and leader. Doug battles to make his team see their potential and earn their glory on the ice.

Doug (Sean William Scott) and his friend Ryan (Jay Baruchel) are friends and hockey enthusiasts that like the rough and violent sport of hockey. They like the game but find the darker side of the game, goon style of fighting the most enthralling. They almost hero worship the main goon of the day Ross Rhea (Liev Schreiber). Doug is given an opportunity to try out for his local team after the team watches him beat down a rival player in the stands. Doug moves on to find his true calling in hockey and fights his way up, literally.

Goon has a little bit of everything to love. This movie covers a variety of genres from sports comedy to a little dramatic to fill in nicely. Goon will appeal to comedy and sports fans alike. Itís great to have a hockey movie to show glory of the game from the darker side of hockey with hard hitting, blood, and the joy of fights.

As a hockey fan and a movie lover, I canít find many things to not like about Goon. It has been a long time since Iíve seen Slap Shot and from what I remember of that 70ís movie, this is a great upgrade. Foul mouth, dirty comedy and fist flying action make for a great combination. I will make this a purchase when it hits Blu-ray for sure.

Right now Goon is on demand and receives a full release March 30.

4/5

Director: Michael Dowse
Writers: Jay Baruchel &Evan Goldberg (screenplay)
Writers: Adam Frattasio & Doug Smith (novel "Goon: The True Story of an Unlikely Journey into Minor League Hockey")
Starring: Sean William Scott
Jay Baruchel
Live Schreiber
Allison Pill

Submit "Review : Goon" to Digg Submit "Review : Goon" to del.icio.us Submit "Review : Goon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Review : Goon" to Google

Updated 03-09-2012 at 07:11 PM by darthballsac

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It's been getting real good reviews up here in Canada. Sadly, I can't seem to find time to fit it into my theatrical viewing experience. And your review of the film makes me yearn for it even a little more.
    I didn't hear very much about this movie other than Kevin Smith say Sean William Scott chose this movie to star in over his film. I seen the trailer and just had to watch. Even my 12 year old daughter was just going crazy over the fight scenes, and thats hard to get her involved.
    This movie looks awesome! I cannot wait to check it out! I havn't heard much about it, so I'm glad you reviewed it. I like Sean William Scott, but other then The Dukes Of Hazzard, he hasn't done anything I care to see. This one looks like he is back to true form, and the 4/5 score confirms it.
    It's a good film, the old lady and I laughed our patooties off. Boombata you need to check out The Promotion, another movie that Scott was in that I'm fairly sure you'd like (of course it's more because of John C Reilly than Scott that the movie rocks.)