Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any VHS collectors out there? I need your advice...

Default Any VHS collectors out there? I need your advice...

So who's a horror VHS collector? I'm always keeping my eye out for them to put in my shop and I need some advice. I started way off, but with my recent findings of Critters 2, Exterminator 2, Eliminators, Blood Link, Gate II, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Phantasm and The Demon...I think I might be a little more on the right track. Tell me, do collectors care if there are rental stickers and price tags on them or do they just assume that's inevitable? Is it more horror than sci-fi that people are interested in? Do you prefer clamshell cases over boxes or does it not even matter? Is there only interest in titles you can't find on DVD or Blue Ray or are people still willing to collect because of the box art? It's pretty interesting to me that there are collectors for this and I just don't know much about it. Thanks!

Destroyer of Demons
    Blog Entries

That’s an awfully niche market you are getting into. There aren’t many horror classics that are no longer on DVD and the one’s that aren’t can easily be found as a VHS to DVD-R bootleg. I know because that’s something I’ve been getting into. So you are dealing with a minuscule group of people that just want VHS. Add to that, VHS tapes are delicate and time consuming to verify the condition. Even if you state “Sold as is” in your auctions people will get pissed when a tape is bad at some point in the movie. Selling junk on eBay is a bad business practice even if you warn people. Since neither Horror or the VHS format are your passion you will need to spend a lot of time researching with little chance of getting much in return. I have a feeling you’re setting yourself for frustration.

I had VHS fever a few years ago. I was always looking for the best condition boxes, I hated stickers/price tags... so if you know the box is looking nice make sure you let that be known.

Blog Entries

If there is a sticker on it, it depreciates the value. By how much depends on the title and the collector. I personally wouldn't buy anything with a sticker on it.

Blog Entries

Ya may wanna check out a few issues of the magazine HorrorHound, every issue they have an article called Video Invasion where they feature a singe video releasing company from the video boom. They focus on whats most sought after, what's rare & good places to sell.
    "You play a good game boy, but the game is finished, now you die."

http://homicidal.dvdaf.com/

http://letterboxd.com/homicide/films/

Blog Entries

Clamshell is the way to go. Stickers are whatever. Alternate covers are the shit. But Homicide is correct see if you can get your hands on the last 6 issues of HORRORHOUND. They are awsome

Quote Originally Posted by androidvirus View Post
    Clamshell is the way to go. Stickers are whatever. Alternate covers are the shit. But Homicide is correct see if you can get your hands on the last 6 issues of HORRORHOUND. They are awsome
    Cool...good advice and feedback guys. I don't know if it was someone from K.R., but I just sold my Halloween Limited Edition VHS set for $20. SWEET!!! That's thing is in mint condition. I'll look into Horrorhound.

Destroyer of Demons
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brainchomper View Post
    Cool...good advice and feedback guys. I don't know if it was someone from K.R., but I just sold my Halloween Limited Edition VHS set for $20. SWEET!!! That's thing is in mint condition. I'll look into Horrorhound.
    Congrats. So what was your profit on that sale?

Quote Originally Posted by crikan View Post
    Congrats. So what was your profit on that sale?
    Well it cost me a dollar to buy, eBay raped me of probably $3 and shipping ended up being $6. So about $13 profit. Woo hoo!!! That'll get me two drinks at the bar tonight.

not to bad at all
    Quote Originally Posted by brainchomper View Post
    Well it cost me a dollar to buy, eBay raped me of probably $3 and shipping ended up being $6. So about $13 profit. Woo hoo!!! That'll get me two drinks at the bar tonight.