Sponsors: Alternative Cinema | Level 33 Entertainment | Shopping at Amazon? Click Here First!

Thread: Exclusive: Studio Busting Movies

Blog Entries

Default Exclusive: Studio Busting Movies

Last week, Mars Needs Moms, the animated feature film from Robert Zemeckis, brought in a paltry $6 million at the box office in its opening week-end. With a reported budget of $150 million, Moms Needs Mars is shaping up to be one of the biggest box office bombs of all-time. The loss will hardly be felt by powerhouse Disney Studios that produced the film, but the disappointing gate coupled with the incredibly excessive production costs have resulted in Image Movers Studios (an animated wing of Disney) shutting down all further operations and laying off all associated employees.

This isnít the first time that a studio has had to shut its doors thanks to a movie that held all their eggs in one basket. Hardly. And it wonít be the last as budgets for films can balloon to half a billion dollars (Avatar) when all calculator tapes are tallied while cinematic attendance is sitting at an all-time low.

Killer Reviews has taken an in-depth look into the big budget films and has produced a two-part article on related topics. Part I will examine the big budget films that ultimately crippled or closed a studio. Part II will look at why movies are so expensive and where those production dollars are allocated.

To Read Part I of Article: click here

Blog Entries

Since when did taking a 150 million gamble become preferable to traditional animation? I saw Seth Green on Conan promoting this film, and it looked mediocre at best.
    I yam what I yam.

Laff Cult

BoDuley On YouTube

Giggles For Guzzlers

Twitter @BoDuley

Blog Entries

I don't know how the studio thought they were going to recoup their monies for Mars Needs Moms. $150 million!? Considering that most studio's quote les than it actually cost, you have to assume assume that it would have to make $300 million to make some money after the theatres and everyone else gets a cut.

Destroyer of Demons
    Blog Entries

Excellent article GregMO.

In February, I got a warm fuzzy feeling when the Carolco logo chimed in before Universal Solider. It was like seeing an old friend from my youth. When the film was over I went to Wikipedia to see what other films Carolco was responsible for. There are a number of my favorite films but I expected a bit more. Apparently my love for the Carolco logo comes from just 4 films; Total Recall, Universal Soldier, Terminator 2, Rambo 2. Because of those 4 films I probably saw that logo more than a few dozen times each year growing up. Reading that Cutthroat Island (1995) was responsible for killing Carolco piqued my interest in seeing the film. Your article might be the final push I need to finally seek out this title.

Carolco favorites:
    First Blood
    Rambo: First Blood Part II
    Red Heat
    Lock Up
    Total Recall
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day
    Basic Instinct
    Universal Soldier
    Showgirls

Blog Entries

I actually liked Cutthroat Island. Well, sort of. I gave it a mildly favorable review. I still think it has one of the greatest explosions ever put to film.

Electric Chair Victim BreeAnimal's Avatar

i had no idea that one film could sink a studio. makes sense. i just never thought about it. guess it shows that when the budget balloons you are kinda on the hook - too late to pull the plug, too much invested to keep going.

this was my favorite article of yours. i always wondered why the logos for production companies from yesteryear were no longer around. like tri-star. what happened to tri-star?

Destroyer of Demons
    Blog Entries

The 80's Tri-Star logo is one my favs too. They merged with Columbia in 1987 and again with Sony in 1998. They use the Tri-star name but the last film they distributed that I have seen is STARSHIP TROOPERS (1997). They distributed 2010's FASTER which I'll finally get to the next time my wife and I have a babysitter and time to watch movie.

Blog Entries

Carolco was always my favorite. Seeing their logo before a film with the theme (that was used first in First Blood) always excited me and made me believe I was about to see a great action flick.

Hate to be a dick but I love to hear about a mainstream big budget crash. It just goes to show that stereotyping an audiance does not always pan out. It feels like some of these blockbuster movie producers think they have a hook for what us moviegoes will shell out to see, which leads them to make movies that they feel will draw some $ as opposed to backing some lower budget projects that may draw a following but not as much as to dent the big screen billboards. I love it..Mulberry St. was shot on a $60,000 budget and I'd watch it a thousand times over before some of these bells and whistle big shows. To each his own.
    Snowblind