Sponsors: Alternative Cinema | Level 33 Entertainment | Shopping at Amazon? Click Here First!

Thread: 20 Best Worst Science Fiction Movies Of All Time

Hybrid View

Default 20 Best Worst Science Fiction Movies Of All Time

This is a list I found over at io9.com. I guess the idea is that these movies are bad, but fun to watch.

I would have to disagree with some of these. I mean, isn't Hollow Man just a bad movie in general? And isn't The Last Star Fighter a good movie?

Read the source article here!

Here's the list:

20 - Chronicles Of Riddick
    19 - Time Cop
    18 - Mimic
    17 - Hollow Man
    16 - Planet Of The Apes (Tim Burton's Remake):
    15 - The Last Star Fighter
    14 - Starship Troopers
    13 - Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    12 - Alien 3
    11 - Blade Trinity
    10 - The Faculty
    9 - Deep Impact
    8 - Event Horizon
    7 - The Langoliers
    6 - Reign of Fire
    5 - The Fifth Element
    4 - Enemy Mine
    3 - Red Planet
    2 - Signs
    1 - Alien Versus Predator
    Last edited by Butcher; 07-27-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't agree at all with that list, I enjoy quite a few of those & I realize it say's best, worst; but I think a number of these aren't bad at all, I doubt I'm alone on that. I know we could definately chose some suitable replacements for some of these.
    "You play a good game boy, but the game is finished, now you die."

http://homicidal.dvdaf.com/

http://letterboxd.com/homicide/films/

Famed Serial Killer Moundshroud's Avatar

I wasn't certain what they meant until I looked at the source list itself. Here's their criteria (edited for brevity):

These movies exist to be found in the bottom of bargain DVD bins and are met with squeals of excitement. These aren't successful by any standards other than the people that love them and treasure watching them for the 14th time... Now it needs to be said, these are movies that aren't trying to be bad.... These are strictly films that were made in total seriousness but turned out ridiculously awful and we LOVE THEM FOR IT.

Before commenting further, I need to comment on a pet peeve of mine regarding these sorts of list. If one is going to make a list of any movies which ends in the phrase "of all time" then widen the scope considerably. Scifi movies have been around for about 100 years, not 25 years. Surely there's been enjoyable scifi stinkers prior to the mid-1980s (Plan Nine from Outer Space, Invasion of the Saucer Men, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, the Giant Gila Monster, legions of Japanese kaiju movies, etc.). Otherwise, io9 should name the list accordingly... perhaps "...of the modern era" or "... of the post-Star Wars era."

OK, old fogey rant off.

Of the ones listed, I have to agree with Resident Evil: Apocalypse. I'm inexplicably drawn to it, even though my rational side tells me it shouldn't even be taking up space on my DVD shelf.

Likewise, my initial knee-jerk repulsion to Alien 3 (at first I refused to consider it as proper Alien "canon") has been replaced by accepting and even embracing. The crapfests which are the Alien vs. Predator series have also made it look much better by comparison.

Starship Troopers I can agree with, but I'm still not certain if it's too campy to be included (if you check the original article, they were excluding intentionally campy movies).

As for as entries which should be on the list, seems to me that if you've got Enemy Mine and The Last Starfighter, you need to include Battle Beyond the Stars to complete the trifecta.

I'm surprised to see no representation from Roland Emmerich. Surely The Day After Tomorrow or 10,000 BC should be present.

And how about Speed Racer? Bombed at the box office, critically maligned, but at least the Wachowskis were very faithful to the source material. And the Skittle-colored CGI is just plain fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post
    This is a list I found over at io9.com. I guess the idea is that these movies are bad, but fun to watch.

I would have to disagree with some of these. I mean, isn't Hollow Man just a bad movie in general? And isn't The Last Star Fighter a good movie?

Here's the list:

19 - Time Cop
    18 - Mimic
    17 - Hollow Man
    14 - Starship Troopers
    12 - Alien 3
    11 - Blade Trinity
    10 - The Faculty
    9 - Deep Impact
    8 - Event Horizon
    7 - The Langoliers
    6 - Reign of Fire
    5 - The Fifth Element
    4 - Enemy Mine
    3 - Red Planet
    2 - Signs
    1 - Alien Versus Predator
    Wow alot of these movies aren't that enjoyable for me but most of them are far from the worst.THE LAST STARFIGHTER and STARHIP TROOPERS have no business on that list in my opinion.Off the top of my head the only movie that I can think of that was bad was WING COMMANDER that was really really boring for me.As well as all the surplus of movies Asylum keeps dumping on the DVD market.Oh yeah and how could I forget BATTLEFIELD EARTH thats got to be up there in the all time worst movies.
    Last edited by GIGANTOR_; 07-26-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Destroyer of Demons cityofgod794's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post

19 - Time Cop
    18 - Mimic
    17 - Hollow Man
    14 - Starship Troopers
    12 - Alien 3